Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hola!

After a long day of travel, we have safely arrived in the Dominican Republic.

We arrived yesterday afternoon, ate supper, and walked around the neighbourhood and beachfront. The center we are staying at is very nice and accommodating to the American lifestyle. It will be a nice transition into the next part of our trip, when we will be living with a Dominican Family.

This morning we were greeted by fresh fruit, eggs, coffee, and delicious oatmeal (Lindsay, if I could bring some back to you, I would. You would have loved it).

As we continue to get settled in, we are learning more about the country and work of the Episcopalian Church in San Pedro. It is always humbling for me to learn about the crucial roles churches play in their communities. This Episcopal Church, in particular, has a school, a clinic, and multiple programs that cater to a variety of different people, from all walks of life. It is a beautiful thing.

After lunch, we took a walking tour of the city. It was fun for me to see all of the architecture, although it is no longer in its prime, it is still beautiful. It was also fun to see the people of the community. Many of the Dominican’s gather on the streets in front of store fronts-- adults’ talk with family and friends, children play and dogs wander freely. It is a very different lifestyle then the one I am used to.

As we get settled into night I can not help but look forward to the coming days when we begin our service and meet more people.

Currently, my major adjustment is the language barrier. I enjoy talking and getting to know people, but because I do not speak fluent Spanish, this has proven difficult. Also, it has been challenging to see the people, drive by their homes, and realize how little they have. Families are living in conditions that you or I would never consider. Peoples clothes are warn and covered in dirt. Children walk the streets unsupervised and ask for money.

So- with that being said, I am still taking everything in and enjoying the first couple of days in country.


michael

No comments:

Post a Comment